The alternatives given here for ending each point – a double loop or scroll and three petals or a fleur-de-lis – are only two of many possibilities. Remember that in nature every snowflake is unique, so experiment with other shapes to end your snowflakes’ points.
Snowflake with scroll points
1. String 40 in. (1m) of beads on 24-gauge wire. This will be enough to make one snowflake. Make a small loop at the tail end to keep the beads from falling off. Don’t cut the beaded wire off the spool.
2. Leave about 2 in. (5cm) of the wire clear and count 24 beads for the first leg of the first point.
3. Count 10 more beads and make a tight loop to hold the 10 beads at the end of the first point. Twist once to secure (PHOTO A).
4. Form an outer loop by curving the beaded wire snugly around the first loop and wrapping twice at the base of the loop (PHOTO B).
5. Count 24 more beads for the second leg and twist the legs together 3 or 4 times (PHOTO C).
6. There should be 3⁄16-1⁄4 in. (5-6mm) of wire between each point on the snowflake. To keep the spacing between the points even, position a paperclip on the wire at the base of the completed point and the beads for the next point (PHOTO D). String 19 beads for the legs of the second point, topping it with a double loop as described in steps 3-4.
7. Repeat steps 2 to 6, alternating 24-bead and 19-bead points until you’ve made 8 points.
8. After making the last point, cut the wire from the spool, leaving 2 in. of clear wire. Join the points into a circle, weaving the wire tails in and out between the petals (PHOTO E) and around the center of the circle. This provides a base for gluing on the center button.
9. Bend the legs of each spoke outward to form elongated diamond shapes. Use your pliers to bend an angle about 8 beads from the end loop on the longer legs, and 6 beads from the end loop on the shorter ones (PHOTO F).
10. Adjust the points so the snowflake is symmetrical and lies flat. Follow directions for the center button below to complete the snowflake.
Snowflake with fleur-de-lis points
1. Follow steps 1-3 above.
2. Make a 12-bead loop next to the 10 bead loop.
3. Make another 10 bead loop next to the 12-bead loop. Position the 3 loops like a fleur-de-lis or clover.
4. Repeat steps 5-6 above, making a fleur-de-lis at the end of the 19-bead legs.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 three times to make 8 points.
6. Repeat steps 8-10 above to complete the body of the snowflake.
1. String 8 in. (20cm) of beads on 28-gauge wire. Leave a 2-in. tail and twist 6 beads into a tight loop.