A sample bag of mixed anodized aluminum jump rings inspired me to modify a simple chain mail pattern known as Shaggy Loops. I like the clustered effect that results from combining jump rings in different sizes and wire gauges. Beads and crystals add extra sparkle to the jump rings and earring findings, and it’s easy to match the earrings with any piece of clothing.
Pair of earrings
- 2–6 6–8 mm crystals (optional)
- 12–14 size 6/0 or 8/0 seed beads (optional)
- 2–6 2-in. (5 cm) 20-gauge
- head pins or eye pins (optional)
- jump rings
- 14 4.25 mm inside diameter stainless steel or brass, 18-gauge
- 84 anodized aluminum in assorted colors, sizes/wire gauges (Blue Buddha Boutique, bluebuddhaboutique.com)
- pair of earring findings
- bentnose pliers
- chainnose pliers
- roundnose pliers (optional)
- wire cutters (optional)
You can make these earrings from any combination of jump rings — vary the jump ring size, wire gauge, and color. Customize them even more by changing the length, dangling crystals or beads from the bottom, or embellishing the jump rings with seed beads. Follow these basic instructions, and modify them as desired.